When it comes to marriages and taxes, being sneaky isn’t a great idea. But storage is a different story! If your closets are overflowing and your drawers are jam packed with stuff, it may be time to take a walk on the subtle side. If you know where to look, you’ll find tons of untapped storage real estate in your home!
Here are some ideas you probably haven’t tried yet:
From baubles to trinkets, you can easily (and secretly) stash just about anything behind the door of this classic mirror frame. The best part? Everything you need to get ready after your morning shower is within arm’s reach.
Seating and More
Built-in banquette seating is an appealing designer detail, but what’s even better is under-seat storage. Seldom used items are hidden from view within deep pullout drawers, freeing up precious real estate in the kitchen’s main work area.
Who knew that stair risers could conceal such ingenious storage compartments? Hire a cabinetmaker or handyman to retrofit slide-out drawers under each step, and suddenly you’ll have a storage for all those pairs of shoes piling up at the foot of the staircase.
Under the Stairs
Staircases take up a lot of room. Where square footage is precious, use custom-fit cabinets, drawers, and closets with clever pullout drawers to make full use of the under-stairs space.
A simple box is transformed into a secret storage solution that will fit right into the shelves of your personal library. Collect old and broken textbooks and novels, remove the spines, then hot-glue them to one side of the box. Now your bookcase can be more versatile than ever!
A built-in tub surround typically provides enough space to house tilt-out storage for extra cleaning sponges, shampoo, and soap. Stash your favorite bubbles here, so the kids (and guests) don’t get to them.
No one would ever expect a wall safe to look like an electrical outlet. This hidden mini vault is big enough to secure valuables such as rings, credit cards, and cash.
Behind the Scenes
This ingenious solution creates storage space where no one would imagine. The stone surround makes it look even more improbable that there are cubby holes lurking behind the screen. An added bonus? The TV can be swung out to accommodate different viewing angles!
Use Architectural Elements
If you have any decorative beams or other architectural details in your home, consider cutting a small door into them that can open to provide small, but likely-to-get-noticed storage areas. In this example, a decorative obelisk in the yard not only conceals garden tools above—but the central air conditioning unit below!
Don’t Forget Doors
If you have a hollow-core door, it’s easy to use that inner space to hide small valuables—like jewelry or a memory stick—that you won’t need to access often. Buy metal storage tubes and attach a washer that’s bigger than the diameter of the tube to the lid. Make a hole the size of the tube in the top of the door, drop the tube in and you’ve just opened the door to secret storage!
Create a Space
Not all storage has to use existing spaces. You can install this faux air vent in your sheet-rocked walls wherever there’s not a support beam to create an instant area to hide things. If you put it up by the ceiling, it’ll be harder for you to access it, but that means it’ll be harder for would-be snoopers to get to it as well!
Some other tips:
- Stock up on your toiletries and stack them in such a way that they make a wall inside the cabinet or under the sink. Aside from having a large stock of Charmin and Ivory soap at your disposal, having a wall of toiletries in a cabinet will keep most thieves moving as few people will dig beyond them. After all they are not there to freshen up. This makes them a prime spot to store valuables behind.
- Laundry hampers are rarely considered anything but bins for dirty clothes. Consider placing a dummy hamper in a corner of a closet. Then store items like handguns, coins and heavier items wrapped in a towel at the bottom. Stack clean sheets or maybe some of those excess towels on top. If anyone picks it up, the weight is explained by the contents and odds are they won’t give it a second thought. Just make sure you don’t actually wash any of the stuff in the hamper.
- Remember that decorative items can work as great hiding places. Money clipped behind picture frames is a parlor trick well known from many movies. But what about hiding cash inside decorative vases and jars in the corner of the bathroom? Place a bouquet of fake flowers on the top of the vase and maybe some rocks or marbles to mask the valuables hidden inside. This will keep suspicions from being aroused.
- Thieves often check under the master bedroom bed for hidden money and guns. It is rare however that they will check under a stack of towels in the master bathroom as often. For even better concealment, leave a copy or two of magazines pushed in among towels to appear as if that is what is hidden in that stack of towels.
- Find an old jar from the pantry with an opaque label, clean it out and use it to store valuables or ammo. In a burglary situation, odds are the thief isn’t going to raid your pantry. Just make sure that you line the jar with cotton or something else to keep the contents from rattling around inside.
6 Replies to “Sneaky Storage Tricks And Ideas”
Good Morning everyone ! can anyone advise where I can purchase CBDfx CBD Gel Capsules 8 Count Pouch 25mg?
Nice post. I learn something tougher on different blogs everyday. Most commonly it is stimulating to learn to read content using their company writers and exercise a specific thing there. I’d would rather use some with all the content on my own blog regardless of whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll provide a link in your web weblog. Thank you for sharing.
I hope you don’t mind me reaching out to you, but I cannot seem to be able to find an online shop that sells: Vape Cartridge – Pumpkins by JUSTCBD and Delta 8 Disposable Cartridges by JUST DELTA. I cannot find them anywhere! Cheers 🙂
I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to Dimepiece LA celebrity streetwear brand? I cannot check out on Dimepiecela site. I have read in Vanity Fair that they were acquired by a UK hedge fund for $50m. I’ve just bought the Meditate Stainless Steel Water Bottle from Ebay and absolutely love it xox
what is the difference between cbd oil made from hemp and that made from marijuana?
Has anybody ever shopped at Refined Vapors Vape Shop located in 1160 E. Main St?