Sea salt is a simple and tasty alternative for preserving fresh homegrown herbs. The fresh herbs permeate every ounce of the salt mixture and release a fragrant intoxicating aroma. Sea salt made with fresh basil, mint, and thyme is delicious for seasoning pure food recipes. They also work as great body scrubs. Make some for yourself and to give as gifts, because everyone appreciates a nice home made touch. Sea salt makes a wonderful preservative. Once fresh herbs are blended, dried, and bottled, refrigeration is not necessary. Shelf life is about 6 months. Right around the time your next crop of fresh herbs will be popping up in the garden.
Home made sea salt mixtures go hand in hand with eating pure food and sustainable living. By making your own, you are reducing your dependence on grocery stores and the associated cost with buying these seasonings. Store bought varieties also have silicon dioxide in their mixtures to prevent the salt from caking, not something I am too keen on eating. The home made sea salt mixture may clump a bit, but it is pretty simple to shake the jar and like magic those clumps disappear.
Another option that I have had great success with is using fresh celery, garlic and onions. Don’t be afraid to experiment a bit to see what mixtures you can come up with.
HOW TO PRESERVE HOME GROWN HERBS WITH SEA SALT
- Use 1/4 Cup herbs to each 1 cup of coarse sea salt ( add more or less herbs to your taste, experiment and have fun with it).
- Place herbs and coarse sea salt in blender or food processor.
- Blend until herbs are well incorporated with salt.
- Pour salt and herb mixture onto baking sheet and spread mixture evenly.
- Cover pan with cheese cloth.
- Allow herb and salt mixture to dry in area away from strong sunlight (sunlight will bleach salt mixture and cause your pretty colored salt to go from lovely shades of green to pure white).
- Once dry (usually takes about a day) scrape up your salt mixture and put in back in the blender for another quick blend.
- Put in clean, dry, container with air tight seal.
- Store in a cool, dry area for best flavor.
Other Survival Solutions(This are the most reliable survival books that you can find)