Our skin is a living organ and responds to natural ingredients the same way that your internal body does to natural products. During times of extreme weather, we have to take added measures to protect our skin and keep it moisturized. Lotion helps, but you want to ensure that the ingredients in the lotion are quality ones.
Rather than purchasing a store bought lotion containing ingredients you can’t even pronounce, use this recipe containing 5 natural ingredients that are proven to protect the skin, nourish it and deliver long-lasting moisture.
I use organic oils and butters because I am trying to reduce the chemical load on my body that synthetic ingredients have. This recipe is very gentle on the skin and also makes a wonderful diaper rash cream (just add 1 teaspoon of zinc oxide and instead of the essential oils I used in the below recipe, add essential oils that have antibacterial properties such as chamomile or calendula).
Handmade Lotion Bars
- 2/3 cup beeswax
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1 tsp. vitamin E oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. of your favorite essential oil (I used a combination of peppermint and lavender)
- In a large glass mixing bowl, add your beeswax to the coconut oil.
- Place mixing bowl in a saucepan filled with 1.5 inches of boiling water (similar to a double broiler).
- Over low heat, allow mixture to melt thoroughly. Then add shea butter and vitamin E oil. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove glass mixing bowl and add essential oils. I used 1/2 tsp. lavender oil and 1/4 tsp. peppermint oil.
- Pour mixture into soap molds and allow to cool.
By Tess Pennington
Tess Pennington is the author of The Prepper’s Cookbook: 300 Recipes to Turn Your Emergency Food into Nutritious, Delicious, Life-Saving Meals. When a catastrophic collapse cripples society, grocery store shelves will empty within days. But if you follow this book’s plan for stocking, organizing and maintaining a proper emergency food supply, your family will have plenty to eat for weeks, months or even years. Visit her web site at ReadyNutrition.com.